Building strength, balance, power and grace from within
Whether you are a devoloping hockey player, professional athlete, recreational adult skater, aspiring musician, weekend warrior, or a young dancer, your activity is important to you. You are committed to being the best soccer player, marathoner, (you fill in the blank) you can be under your current life circumstances. On this page, I have provided you with some great resources for developing mental skills which will enhance your performance and carry over into every aspect of your life.
The Nine Mental Skills of Successful Athletes
by Jack J. Lesyk, Ph.D. , Clinical and Sport Psychologist at the Ohio Center for Sport Psychology
Choose and maintain a positive attitude.
Maintain a high level of self-motivation.
Set high, realistic goals.
Deal effectively with people.
Use positive self-talk.
Use positive mental imagery.
Manage anxiety effectively.
Manage their emotions effectively.
USOC Sport Psychology's Top 10
Top Ten Guiding Principles for Mental Training
- Mental training can't replace physical training and talent.
- Physical training and physical ability isn't enough to succeed consistently.
- A strong mind may not win the competition, but a weak mind will lose one.
- Coaches frequently don't know what their athletes are thinking.
- Thoughts impact behavior. Consistency of thinking=consistency of behavior.
- Coaches often differ in their approach to technical versus mental mistakes.
- Coaches must be involved in the mental training process.
- Sometimes it is okay to push athletes to take the time to do mental training.
- Like any skill, mental skills need to be measured in order to maximize performance of those skills.
- Coaches need to think about their own mental skills.
According to the USOC, athletes who have practiced mental skills training
perform more consistently across competitions
recover their composure more quickly after a mistake or distraction
perform at their best when the pressure is on
Develop your mental skills
Pre-performance jitters? Inefficient practice sessions? The key to performing your best is to develop a plan! We will assess your mental skills and teach you some tools that will help you in sports, academics and in life!
More on Sports Psychology
Join our list
When it comes to life balance and performance habits, where are you? Receive our FREE self assessment tool when you join our update list. We respect your privacy and will never give your information to a third party. Unsubscribe at any time.