Building strength, balance, power and grace from within
PREVENT INJURIES! PERFORM BETTER!
One of the best training secrets is to perform a proper warm-up prior to activity. Whether you are a figure skater, dancer, hockey player or gymnast you need to warm-up. If you are a coach or parent, it is imperitive that you teach your child the importance of a complete warm-up.
Warm-ups should be completed before ALL practices and events.
Warm-ups should take about 10-15 minutes. There is no such thing as a quick warm up.
- Increases tissue temperatures throughout the body
- Increases blood flow to muscles in preparation for exercise
- Prevents injury by allowing a gradual entrance into activity
- Side stepping
- Lunge walks
- Back Pedaling
- Ankle/hip rotations
- Other light aerobic exercise
- Use warm-ups to build teamwork
- Keep motions slow and unidirectional at first, progressing to complex movement patterns
- Stretching warms-up deep muscle fibers
- Increases muscle length to improve ability to safely perform necessary skills
- Lubricates and warms up synovial fluid which reduces friction in the body
- Increases respiratory rate (breathing) and heart rate
- Aids in the prevention on acute injuries
- Decreases post career pain by maintaining range of motion in all joints
- Develops body awareness in developing athletes
- Following a proper warm-up (above)
- Foam Roller Exercises for mobility
- Gentle Dynamic Stretch (high kicks)
- Use good posture during all stretches
- Concentrate on stretch and body rather than socialize
- Begin focusing on practice/event
- Exhale to stretch/Inhale to relax...restretch
Sport Specific Warm-Up Last
Take approximately 5 minutes to perform exercises which utilize the specific muscles required in sport. A coach or trainer can help design a great warm-up.
Performer's Advantage Warm-Ups
Join our list
When it comes to life balance and performance habits, where are you? Receive our FREE self assessment tool when you join our update list. We respect your privacy and will never give your information to a third party. Unsubscribe at any time.